Common Core Standards

Monday, April 11, 2011

Hospital ART!

"When I was sick and lay abed, and had two hospital pillows at my head,
All about me pen and paper lay
And my new NOOKcolor on which to play!"


Down to my "beaver boxers"!
HOSPITAL! Disrobe and put on this crazy cool gown. Now lie still as nurses plaster more sticky pieces on you than checkers on a game board!

The weekend went from going to Barnes & Noble for Advanced Nookcolor classes to a trip to the Urgent Care clinic in a heartbeat (pun intended). After battling 8 weeks of a bronchitis thing I got light-headed whilst driving myself to the Nook class. And to make a painfully long story short, I went in with heart palpitations, low pulse, chest pressure...and VOILA! I ended up with an Ambulance ride to St. Joe's in Howell when it was suspected that I might have a blood clot in my lungs or legs.

Marie and Lisa were in Saline doing a show there and hurried their tushes down to the hospital with my sketchbook (bless you girls!!) and my NEW Nookcolor (bless you again girls) and underwear. I can honestly say, I could not have made it through without my Nook, and perhaps my underwear. But the Nook certainly made the stay fun.

While nurses were poking me with needles every two hours and keeping my arm straight with my IV in, I had my Nook. Now let me say here, that I had until two weeks ago, SWORE that I WOULD NEVER own one of those new-fangled contraptions. Wrong! It turned out to be a fab marketing tool. "Here let me show you my website, Nurse Margaret!"
From, soothing Pandora tunes, to downloading new ebooks from the big kid book on the caves of Jean Auel to mid-grade kid fiction of Katie Kazoo, to checking my email and updating friends and family on my condition on Facebook. I was spellbound. And I had the time to explore my Nook and all of its crannies and apps more. I am hooked on my Nook!

Then reality set in. Dum-Dum-DUM!!!
What am I in here for anyway? Health scare! ARGH!
It hit me. I better take care of myself better! I had just gotten an all clear on my chest x-ray and was awaiting a heart echogram. I better lose weight. So who did I turn to? My Nook. I downloaded the 17 Day Diet. I had been reading the sample pages and everything seemed to jive with me. And while waiting for heart tech Frank to show up with his machine, I read Dr. Phil's book on my nook.
Rest, relaxation, eat right, and some butt-scratching exercise!
OK, maybe not butt-scratching exercise. But you get my drift. Get OUT and move is the key here. I have been having leg problems (which the prednisone has been helping now, too) and this was a good scare to get me going and resting occasionally. We here at Bear Track Studios, like most folks, sit at a desk or work too durned much! Not good, especially for artists and advocates of nature. Oh, for shame! Tsk, tsk.
A Happy Ending! Daylight at the end of the tunnel!
So after my ride home from the health hoosegow, it hit me:  what matters is family & friends and most of all--YOUR SELF and Your HEALTH! And having a sketchbook and Nook close at hand doesn't hurt either!


Take care of YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment